I had the opportunity to review Highlander Sweetened Condensed Milk as I’m a part of the NZ Girl influencer panel, so I decided to make this recipe, which I’ve adapted slightly from the original. It’s really easy to make, and quite tasty. Perfect for the lunch box or to take to work for something that’s sweet but not too high in fat or sugar.
1/2 cup dried berries
1/2 cup water
1 can of Highlander lite sweetened condensed milk
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. Place dried fruit in a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed. Take off the heat
3. Add the sweetened condensed milk to the saucepan and stir in. Leave until cold.
4. Sift the flour over the dried fruit mixture and add the rolled oats, sunflower seeds and pecans. Mix thoroughly and press into a 27cm x 18cm slice pan lined with baking paper.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Makes 18 bars